Monday, September 30, 2013

Women Need Pockets, Too!

Women Need Pockets, Too!

 
            Revlimid, while a Godsend for Multiple Myeloma sufferers, is a controlled substance derived from Thalidomide.  Naturally, the procedure for ordering and receiving the drug is serious business.
            First, my doctor’s office had to fulfill its clerical obligations in order to receive authorization from the both the manufacturer and my insurance company.  Once they were received, the ball was in the Specialty Pharmacy’s court.  But in the beginning, I wound up calling the pharmacy myself every month, trying to complete the circuit to find out why my drug hadn’t yet been shipped.
            Revlimid is taken for 21 days, with 7 days off.  Just preceding those final 7 days, the order would be placed for the next month’s supply, and if I hadn’t heard from the pharmacy by Wednesday, I would begin my panic calling.  I absolutely had to begin the next 28–day cycle on that Friday. 
            I would inevitably be at work, and having called the specialty pharmacy, would be trying to stay busy with work, while anxiously awaiting a call back.  Not daring to risk missing the life–saving call on this one particular day, and since I had no pockets or belt in my outfit, I tucked my clamshell cell phone into my bra.  
            Every twelve seconds I would glance at the clock, waiting for the call before the promised time.  But more than two hours passed, with no call.
            I did, however, receive a call on my work line that required my going into my (young) boss’s office to ask him about a discrepancy on our records.  I walked over to his desk, to show him the problem.
            When I was exactly next to him, my left boob started playing “Hazy Shade of Winter”!!  He laughed; I yelped; and we each leapt away from each other about a foot.  I hunched over and slunk away, muttering, “Oh, that’s my drug.”
            Of course, by this time, the phone was sweat––plastered against my breast, so I had to reach in and break the suction.
            It’s just my opinion, but I think ladies’ clothiers should be required to put either pockets or a belt on their products.  Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment